Michael T. Schmitt
Mr. Schmitt has extensive experience in all types of civil defense litigation and corporate regulatory matters. He regularly represents small and large businesses, governmental entities and individuals in litigation and administrative matters. Mickey has experience in a number of specialty areas including constitutional, employment, real estate law, regulatory compliance and alcoholic beverage law.
Mickey began his practice with Ortale Kelley in 2007. Since then, he defended civil litigants in a variety of matters in both state and federal courts, including appeals to the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Tennessee and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. These matters include everything from employment discrimination, premises liability to wrongful deaths.
In the civil litigation area, Mickey has been recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers. In the civil rights and employment area, Mickey has successfully handled significant numbers of sexual harassment, wrongful death, excessive force and other civil rights litigation matters. Mickey also represents restaurants, hotels, clubs and bar establishments that serve alcohol with all Tennessee state and local licensing and permitting for liquor, beer, dance, and special events.
- Margeson, et al. v. White County, TN, et al., NO. 2:12-cv-00052, M.D. Tenn. 2012 – defense verdict for three officers accused of wrongful death.
- Messner v. Hickman County, Case No. 1:11-cv-00059, M.D. Tenn. 2014 – defended local government and officials against claims of wrongful arrest, deliberate indifference and violations of the ADA.
- Flottman v. Hickman County, Case No. 3:09-cv-0770, M.D. Tenn. 2010, defended local government against claims of sexual assault by an employee.
Bayleigh A. Preston
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE LAW PARALEGAL
Vicki L. Schmidt
University of Tennessee
Washington & Lee University
MEMBERSHIPS AND ACCOLADES
- National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals
- Leadership Council Member for the Arthritis Foundation of Middle Tennessee
- 2015 Super Lawyers Rising Star
- YMCA Youth Soccer Coach of the Year