W. Carl Spining
Mr. Spining’s extensive trial & negotiation experience aids clients in navigating legal challenges & litigation concerning a variety of matters.
Mr. Spining joined the firm in 1994 and achieved partner in 2002. He received a Bachelor of Arts with High Honors (English Literature) from the University of Tennessee in 1989 and a Doctor of Jurisprudence from the same Institution in 1993. Mr. Spining served on the Tennessee Law Review, publishing “Forcing Mail Order Houses to Collect Use Taxes in the Wake of Ouill” Tenn. Law Rev. Vol 60, No. 4 (1993).
Mr. Spining, an AV-Rated Lawyer, primarily practices in the Litigation Section, concentrating in Employment Defense, Insurance Defense, Governmental Entity Defense, Civil Rights Defense, Transportation Defense, Intellectual Property, Tax & Commercial Litigation. Mr. Spining also assists business clients with regulatory, insurance, taxation, corporate governance, intellectual property, business formation & transactional issues.
Mr. Spining is admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court, the United States 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States District Courts for the Middle, Eastern & Western Districts of Tennessee as well as all trial and appellate courts in Tennessee. He is a member of the Nashville Bar Association and the Tennessee Bar Association.
- Dalton v. Dale,M2002-1205-COA-R3-CV (Tenn. Ct. App. 2003).
- Points v. Thompson, M2006-02425-COA-R3-CV (Tenn. Ct. App. 2008).
- Dalton v. Tarver, US District Court, Middle District of TN, No. 3:05-0004.
- Goodrich v. Everett, 193 Fed.Appx. 551 (6th Cir.2006).
- Keeling v. Coffee Co., 541 Fed.Appx. 522 (6th Cir. 2013).
- Ray v. Davis, 528 Fed.Appx.453 (6th Cir. 2013).
- Margeson v. White Co, US District Court, Middle District of TN, No. 2:12-cv-00052.
- Merger of a domestic manufacturer with foreign holding company.
- Asset Purchase of domestic technology company.
- Formation of domestic oil distributor.
- Representation of Exempt Entities.
- Representation of businesses & individuals before the TN Department of Revenue & the IRS.